The kids. How can I even begin to describe the amazing children in this community?
They each have their own story and their own personality which I was able to see in only a week spent with them. I feel extremely blessed to be able to know spanish because I was able to truly connect with them.
Their work ethic is unlike anything I have ever seen. Boys anywhere from 4-13 would be shoveling, manuevering wheel barrls and carrying rocks for hours a day. Most of them probably did more work than I did! Many of them play critical roles at home in helping their parents with daily tasks.
The love that they display for their families is unreal. It seems like almost everyone in that town is someone's cousin and many of the young girls are caring for their younger siblings daily.
It is refreshing to see that kids are kids no matter where they are. We played pato, pato, gonso (duck, duck, goose) and they asked to be pushed on the swing.
One afternoon we colored for 3 hours. In my experiences coloring with children here in the US a coloring activity usually doesn't last for more than 10 minutes. I asked one of the girls if she had any books at her house and she said no. Resources are limited here and in abundance where we live. It makes me think a lot about opportunity that children have in other parts of the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment