Monday, January 19, 2009

Gringos.

Gringos is a term that is used to refer to foreigners (mostly Americans) abroad. Everywhere we went we were referred to gringos. Towards the end we even referred to ourselves as gringos, especially when we were being carted around in the back of pickup trucks.
When I asked the kids what it meant to be a gringo they said that you had to be American, wear sunglasses, and have a camera. The people their loved our digital cameras and the kids always wanted to wear our sunglasses.

I think this term really makes a statement about belonging though. It was hard for me to feel like such an outsider. I obviously don't look Honduran and the second I begin speaking spanish it is obvious I am not a native. I know God made people different and places different and that is a beautiful thing. But it is difficult knowing that there are places in the world where i will never fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment